13th Annual Meeting of the
International Society of Chemical Ecology
18-22 August 1996 Prague, Czech Republic
Abstracts of Oral and Poster Presentations
Symposium 1: Physiology and mode of action
Aspects of mechanisms of signal transduction and receptor binding.
Formation and degradation of semiochemical-carrier binding.
- Hildebrand John: Neural processing of semiochemical information in moths.
- Kaissling Karl Ernst: Transduction and odor deactivation in moth pheromone receptors.
- Vogt Richard: Spatial and temporal expression pattern of olfactory genes in moth antennae
- Adayeye Olusola A.: Allelochemical perturbation of catecholamine
metabolism in Helicoverpa zea
- Almeas Tor J.: Functional subdivision of the macroglomerular complex in
different heliothine moth.
- Cambillau Christian: X-Ray structure of bovine odorant binding
- Clement Jean-Luc.: Role of short and long
range chemical signals in the three phases of the cycle of the parasitoid
- Clement Jean-Luc: Phosphorylation in cockroach antennal proteins during
transduction of olfactory messages.
- Heifetz Yael: Gregarious behaviour in locust nymphs is initiated
by cuticular hydrocarbons and mediated by endocrine peptides.
- Jacquin-Joly Emmanuelle: Regulation of pheromone production in
insects: Study of PBAN involvement in Lepidoptera and other orders.
- Leat Walter Soares: Can the pheromone binding proteins of scarab
beetles distinguish enantiomers?
- Nagnan-Le Meillour Patricia: Structure and function relationships
in insect odorant binding proteins: Ligand specificity and role in odor
- Ochieng Samuel A.: Single antennal receptor neuron responses in
the solitarious desert locust, Schistocerca gregaria (Orthoptera:
Acrididae) to aggregation pheromone complex.
Symposium 2: Chemically mediated interactions
within and among trophic levels
Chemistry and ecological significance of semiochemicals mediating
interactions between organisms.
- Hartmann Thomas: Ecochemical functions of plant secondary metabolism: a mechanistic view.
- Pickett John A.: Novel roles and structures for isoprenoid semiochemicals.
- Turlings Ted C. J.: Chemical communication in tritrophic level interactions: how herbivore-damaged plants attract parasitic wasps.
- Vet Louise E. M.: The role of semiochemicals in tritrophic interactions: variability in stimulus and response.
- Andersson Susanna M: Nectar search in Aglais urticae
(Nymphalidae, Lepidoptera) as a response to flower scent.
- Bagneres Anne-Genevieve: Chemical usurpation: A step by step strategy
used by paper wasp parasite to control a nest.
- Bergman Peter: Chemical communication in bumblebee premating behaviour.
- Blum Murray S.: The ecological significance of mandibular gland and sting
shaft derived compounds of honey bees.
- Boeve Jean-Luc: Sequestration of a large variety of toxic secondary plant
metabolites by closely related sawfly species.
- Borg-Karlson Anna-Karin: Relative amounts and enantiomeric compositions
of monoterpenes in different tissues of Picea abies and Pinus
- Byers John A.: Evolution of semiochemical systems for avoiding competition
among spruce bark beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).
- Degen Thomas: Oviposition stimulants in the leaf surface of various host
plants and antixenosis resistance against the carrot fly.
- Dobler Susanne: Chemical defense in Chrysochus
- Dunkelblum Ezra: Kairomonal response of Elatophilus hebraicus
to Matsucoccus pheromones.
- Fuentes-Contreras Eduardo: Behavioural responses of parasitised and
healthy Sitobion avenae to odours from S. avenae colonies and
the hyperparasitoid Alloxysta victrix.
- Gianoli Ernesto: Costs of induced defenses in a wild wheat. Integration
of physiological and ecological approaches.
- Hagele Bernd F.: Genetically based variation and influence of light on
sesquiterpene, pyrrolizidine alkaloid, and nitrogen content of leaves of
Adenostyles alliariae and A. alpine (Asteraceae).
- Harrewijn Paul: The effects of natural terpenoids on behaviour and host
plant acceptance of aphids.
- Hilker Monika: Chemo-ecological comparison of allopatric populations of
Chrysomela lapponica (Coleoptera, Chrysomelidae).
- Krips Olga E: How a tritrophic interaction varies with plant cultivar:
Host-plant resistance, predator population increase and herbivore-induced
- Micha Stephan G.: Orientation of the aphid parasitoid Aphidius
uzbekistanicus (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) towards kairomones derived
from their aphid hosts and synomones from the hosts' plants.
- Ossipov Vladimir: Biochemical basis of birch-insect
- Reinhard Judith: How termites make their food
tasty: A feeding stimulating signal in the labial gland secretion of
Reticulitemmes santonensis Sjostedt (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)
- Renwick J. Alan A.: Deterrency and toxicity of crucifers
to larvae of cabbage bufferflies (Pieris spp.).
- Rochat Didier: Identification and field activity of the aggregation
pheromone of Metamasius hemipterus, (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)
- Rose Ursula S.R.: A systemic response of coffon plants to caterpillar
damage: Release of volatile attractans for parasitic wasps by undamaged
- Schulz Stefan: Chemical defense of springtails.
- Steidle Johannes L.M.: Function, chemistry and evolution of the
abdominal gland secretion of the rove beetle genus Bledius
(Coleoptera: Staphylinidae: Oxytelinae).
- Stevenson Philip C.: Phytochemical studies of wild species of chickpea
(Cicer L): Ecological significance and value in fungal
- Targett Nancy: The effect of herbivore gut characteristics on plant
assimilation efficiencies: Marine and terrestrial comparisons
- Tomaschko Karl-H.: Ecdysteroids as interspecific allelochemicals in marine
- Valterova Irena: Components of the labial secretions of bumblebees
and cockoo bumblebees.
- Van Helden Maarten: Aphid resistance in leffuce: The isolation of
allomones from phloem sap
Symposium 3: Biochemistry of secondary
Aspects of biosynthesis, translocation and storage of secondary
compounds discussed in relation to their role in intra- and interspecific
- Boland Wilhelm- Biosynthesis of iridoids in leaf beetle larvae
- Daloze Desiré- Biosynthetic studies of insect alkaloids.
- Savage Thomas J.- Conifer oleoresin: biochemistry and bark beetle chemical ecology.
- Attygalle Athula B.- Biosynthesis of defensive secretions
- Ivarsson Per - In vitro biosynthesis of pheromone
precursors from radiolabelled acetate in Ips pini (Say) and Ips
paraconfusus Lanier (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).
- Konno Kotaro - Glycine in digestive juice: A novel strategy
of insects against chemical defense of host plants.
- Leal Walter Soares - Sex pheromone biosynthesis in scarab
beetles (Coloptera, Scarabaeidae).
- Oldham Neil J. - Biosynthesis of defensive allomones in
leaf beetle larvae: Stereochemistry of salicylalcohol oxidation in
Phratora vitellinae and comparison of enzyme substrate and stereospecificity
with alcohol oxidases from several iridoid producing leaf beetles.
- Seybold Steven J. - De novo biosynthesis of the aggregation
pheromone components ipsenol and ipsdienol by the pine bark beetles, Ips
paraconfusus Lanier and Ips pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae).
- Wicker-Thomas Claude - Some aspects of pheromone bioynthesis
and regulation in Drosophila melanogaster.
Symposium 4: Practical application of semiochemicals
Current status, recent breakthroughs and future direction in
commercial application of semiochemicals.
- Arn Heinrich- 30 years of wormy apple and not a moth in sight.
- Daterman Gary- Semiochemical applications in North American forestry.
- Hirsch Philipp- Old wine in new skins: are we breaking through the glass ceiling in pheromone commercialization?
- Witzgall Peter- Mating disruption by blends of sex pheromone and attraction antagonists.
- Baker Thomas C. - A novel controlled-release device for
disrupting sex pheromone communicaton in moths.
- Boo Kyung Saeng - Sex attractant of the apple leaf miner,
Phyllonorycter ringoniella Matsumura.
- Eiras Alvaro E. - Identification of the sex pheromone of
the leaf roller, Bonagota granaodes (M.) (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae).
- Gries Gerhard - Recent identifications of insect chemical
- McNair Crawford N. -Learning the chemical language of the
cherry bark tortrix- and how to talk back.
- McNeil Jeremy N. - Are age specific changes in pheromone
titre of virgins important in the reproductive success of true armyworm females?
- Millar Jocelyn G. - Female-produced sex pheromone of the
plant bug Phytocoris relativus (Hemiptera: Miridae).
- Minks Albert K. - Mating disruption of noctuid moths in
- Oehlschlager A. C. - Operational use of pheromones of
insect pests of tropical tree crops.
- Schlyter Fredrik - Peak and width of response of Ips
duplicatus to ratios of pheromone components in east and west palearctic:
Field trapping and non-linear regression.
- Ujváry István - Analogues of semiochemicals: Scientific
fancy or practical potential?
- Vrkoc Jan - Application of semiochemicals for management
of bark beetles: Current status, research, and development.
- Zhang Zhong-ning - Field control of cotton ballworm
(Helicoverpa armigera H.) by using sex pheromones.
Error processing SSI file
- Applebaum Shalom W. - Pheromonal control of behavioural
phase transition in locusts.
- Hardege Jörg D. - Chemical signaling in marine
polychaetes: Structure and function of homo- and heterospecific sex pheromones.
- Hefetz Abraham - Postpharyngeal gland secretion as a
modifier of aggressive behavior in mixed species groups of Manica rubida
and Formica selysi.
- Högberg Hans-Erik - Pheromones of pine sawflies. Structures,
syntheses and applications.
- Kuwahara Yasumasa - General feature of opisthonotal gland
secretions among astigmatid mites.
- Leal Walter Soares - Identification of (R,Z)-7, 15-
hexadecadien-4-olide as a sex pheromone for the yellowish elongate chafer,
Heptophylla picea (Coleoptera, Scarabaeidae, Melolonthinae).
- Müller-Schwarze Dietland - Chemical communication in
beaver, Castor canadensis: A synopsis.
- Svensson Mats - Individual sex pheromone response differences
in male Agrotis segetum moths (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae).
- Szöcs Gábor - Homologous polyenic hydrocarbons
in the sex pheromones of winter geometrids (Lepidoptera).
- Ubik Karel - Collision-induced mass spectrometry in the
elucidation structure of natural products.
- Zeeck Erich - Oligopeptide and purines: Sex pheromones in